Tuesday, August 12, 2008

From Theophilus

Forgive me if I state things that you have specifically addressed, but if theists are shown that they do not have good reasons for believing in God, and that they have irrational beliefs, then why does this not entitle someone to say that God does not exist? With the hermit example that you provided, in my mind President Bush is a tangible figure that can be seen and is not analogous to a person, or spirit being like God (I wholeheartedly admit that I could be way off track). Even though the hermit has wrongly come to believe that George Bush has become president based upon astrology, President Bush can be pointed to and seen. One can say, "Look, do you see President Bush?" This is not the case with God. All we have are reasons to believe and our experiences, which are included in the reasons. It is the same with the atheists. They have reasons not to believe as well as a lack of experience.

No comments: